4 Hazardous Electrical Problems in Older Homes

Man with burnt fuse

4 Hazardous Electrical Problems in Older Homes

Although older houses are beautiful, they tend to come with various electrical problems that can become a costly expense for you in the future. A house’s age contributes significantly to how well it can work with the technological advancements and upgrades that are taking place today.

Below are four examples of hazardous electrical problems found in older homes.

  1. Outdated Wiring

With the modern technology and appliances we use today, the wiring is equipped to serve us and our needs better to perform our tasks. However, in older homes, the electrical wiring is not built to handle the power and electricity we need and can thus pose a fire hazard. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), older houses with outdated wiring cannot maintain the electrical load of today's devices.

  1. Sparking

Sparking is another hazardous factor if the wires are not connected properly. Bad connections often occur due to hastily performed electrical work, incorrectly performed DIY jobs, or aging wirings. When sparking (or arcing) occurs between wires, it’s startling and dangerous. The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) cites faulty and insufficient wiring as a leading cause of accidental electrocutions.

Our team at Sylvester Electric, Inc. can help identify your electrical problems to help you avoid future problems.

  1. Flickering Lights

Dimming and flickering lights could be signs of loose connections. Some wires may be exposed and could cause hazardous fires around your home. The result of lights flickering or dimming may lead to overheating, sparking, and potential electrical fire.

  1. Burning Odors

Due to older homes not being fully equipped to function at a high capacity, your outlets may overheat and generate a funny odor. The lingering scent results from your circuits overheating, which may be carried into your home with the help of your HVAC unit and vents. The scent may intensify with changing temperatures or fade as the day goes by. If you are experiencing strange odors from your outlets, let our professionals look at them to avoid serious electrical problems.

 

Get Professional Electrical Services In Lowell, MA

At Sylvester Electric, Inc., our number one priority is to ensure you and your home are functioning at their best. Contact us today at (978) 910-0021 to get your electrical system checked and maintained.

Categories: 
Related Posts
  • Signs That Your Home May Be at Risk of an Electrical Fire Read More
  • 5 Electrical Terms and What They Mean Read More
  • 7 Small Ways to Reduce Your Electricity Use Read More
/