Blogs from September, 2022

Electric plug on fire

Electrical fires are one of the most common causes of home damage. According to the National Fire Protection Association, about 45,000 homes experience fire damage caused by electrical errors yearly. Taking precautions and learning more about your electrical system can help you identify problems earlier.

To prevent an electrical fire from occurring, here are some signs you can check for to eliminate the risk of your home experiencing an electrical fire.

Circuit Breaker Tripping

Your circuit breaker tripping is one of the first signs of something wrong. A circuit breaker’s job is to cut off the flow of electricity to your home to prevent a circuit from overheating. This can happen due to many reasons:

  • Your appliances are pulling too much electricity onto one circuit, which can lead to an electrical overload.

  • An appliance or wiring you have is experiencing a short circuit.

  • Your circuit’s gone bad, and it is in need of a replacement.

Contacting your electrician immediately can help prevent your home from the risk of an electrical fire and will allow you to learn more about your electrical system.

Strange Odors

Another sign to pay attention to is the presence of a strange odor in your home. It may be from behind your walls if you cannot visibly identify where it might be coming from.

A strange odor can surface due to a short circuit, which may be caused by loose or faulty wiring. According to the U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), short circuits are the leading cause of electrical fires.

Discoloring Outlets

With strange odors, your outlets might experience something similar. Outlets charring or discoloring results from loose connections or faulty wirings in your home. This would lead to your wirings arcing and sparking, which would cause a small fire that results in your outlets discoloring.

Outdated Wiring

Your home’s age plays a massive role in your electrical wiring. If your home is older, it may impose a risk of an electrical fire occurring. According to the U.S (CPSC), many older homes with outdated wiring can’t handle the amperage (electrical load) needed for modern home appliances.

The electrical overload with older systems causes the wiring to overheat, which leads to sparking and a higher risk of electrical fires with surrounding materials.

If you risk outdated wiring, contact your electrician immediately and schedule a maintenance check-up to keep you and your family safe.

Electrical Home Safety Inspections in Lowell, MA

At Sylvester Electric, Inc., our technicians are fully licensed and insured to ensure our customers always feel comfortable and safe. Contact us today for electrical services in Lowell or Middlesex county, and let Sylvester Electric give the power to you.