Want to save money and the planet at the same time? With temperatures rising, there are some easy and low cost ways to save energy.
Here are some painless ways to improve energy consumption during spring and summer:
- Seal your home. Caulk air leaks and seal ducts. When properly insulated, you can save up to 20% on home cooling costs. Seal all cracks, gaps, leaks with low-cost caulk and save on your bill!
- Make the most out of your windows. During cooler spring months, turn off artificial lights and use windows to brighten your home. Open your windows to enjoy a cross-breeze while naturally cooling your home. When things heat up in the summer, invest in energy efficient window treatments to keep your home’s temperature cooler and to reduce the work for your AC.
- Program your thermostats. You can save up to 10% on heating and cooling costs by properly programming your thermostat. Don’t place appliances that give off a lot heat like TVs, near a thermostat. Set your thermometer to your desired temperature. Your home won't heat or cool faster by cranking it up.
- Keep it cool in the kitchen. On warm days, grill outdoors to keep the heat out of your kitchen. Set the temperature of your refrigerator to the manufacturer’s recommendation, which is usually between 2°C - 3°C for your refrigerator and -18°C for your freezer. When running your dishwasher, turn off the heat-dry setting and air dry the dishes instead. If you must use your oven, turn it off a few minutes before the cooking time runs out - your food will still cook without using extra electricity.
- Get smart about laundry. To take advantage of energy savings, wash your clothes in cold water and always run full loads. Save on the cost of running the dryer by hang-drying your laundry. Or, add a dry towel to your dryer load to absorb moisture and reduce drying time.
- Turn off unnecessary lights and unplug unused electronics. Standby power can cost you $100 a year! So open those windows and turn off unnecessary lights. Your phone charges in a matter of hours, there’s no need to leave it plugged in all night. The same with your computer, you don’t need to leave it on and plugged in all day. Sometimes the simple things are the most effective.
- Save in the bathroom. Start by taking shorter showers. If you can cut your shower time by just one minute, you can save over $30 a year. Turn off your water when shaving or brushing your teeth. Another solution is to install low-flow faucets and shower heads.
- Keep it cool throughout your home. Ceiling fans look beautiful in the home. In addition to enhancing the décor, ceiling fans help consumers save money on their electric bill. Also, be sure to service your air conditioner. Routinely replace or clean air filters to lower your cooling system’s energy consumption by up to 15%. Check your air conditioner’s evaporator coil, which should be cleaned once a year to ensure the system is performing it’s best.
Need us to install your fan or check your AC unit? Find out more here: https://www.sylvesterelectric.com/our-services/ceiling-fans/
Let our experts help you save energy and money this season!
At Sylvester Electric, we provide our community with over 30 combined years of experience. With a 100% satisfaction guarantee, you can be certain that the work you pay for is everything you are looking for and more. We take great pride in our policy of providing only the most straightforward pricing so that our customers are never victims of hidden fees or surprise charges. We don't even begin work until after you have seen and approved of the final bill.
Tell us, how will you save on your electrical bill this spring/summer?